Learn test automation the right way with one of the best in the business.
By the end of this two-day, live, interactive training course you will have the foundational skills to add and maintain automated tests. You will learn a highly-technical, bare-bones approach which will teach you not just how to use the test automation tool, but how the tool works. This will equip you with the skills you need to be adaptable across all UI-driven test automation tools, regardless of which programming language you choose to use.
By the end of this course you will:
- Write end-to-end UI automated tests for web
- Design robust and efficient automated tests
- Translate manual test cases into automated test cases
Trainer: Trish Khoo
This is a rare opportunity to learn from one of the best in the business. Trish Khoo is recognised as a global expert in testing and automation. She brings over a decade of experience to the classroom, including her background at Microsoft and Google.
Day 1: Write your first automated tests
- Automating your first test
- Finding elements in the DOM
- Interacting with elements with WebDriver
- Asserting expectations with RSpec
- Waiting for events
- Debugging tests with Pry
- Finding tricky elements with CSS selectors
Day 2: Test design
- Writing test suites
- Using before and after hooks
- What makes a good automated test
- Making tests fast
- Making tests deterministic
- Making tests maintainable
- How to design a good test
- Limitations of e2e tests
- Taking it further
- Basic Ruby programming skill
- Basic command line skill
- Basic HTML and CSS knowledge
- Hardware and software for computer programming
- Hardware and software for video conferencing (online course only)
“Excellent value, based on years of practical experience in the software industry. This hands-on course is challenging and fun, with no student left behind.”
– Kim Engel, Foundations of Test Automation training course attendee
My team doesn’t use Ruby. Can I learn the course in another programming language?
At the moment, the public course is only available in Ruby. The purpose of the course is to teach foundational concepts that can be applied to any language and tool, so Ruby was chosen as the simplest language to learn and use. You will find that the skills you learn can be easily applied to other languages and tools.
If you have a strong preference to learn the course in another programming language, contact us directly so that we may consider it for future course offerings.
I’ve never used Ruby before. Can I still take the course?
You don’t need to be a Ruby expert to take this course – very basic knowledge is all that’s required. Check the prerequisites page for more details.
- Check out my free Ruby tutorial and test.
- If booking on-site, a prerequisites skill course can be added at an additional fee. This is just a half-day course that is taught the day before. Just mention this preference when filling out the contact form.
Can you run this course on-site at my company?
Yes, I am available to fly anywhere in Australia and New Zealand to teach this course on-site at your company. I charge a simple flat fee for on-site training which includes my travel expenses. I can also run this course as an online classroom through Zoom.
Sign up for our mailing list to know when new course dates are announced.